- 1 lb. fresh shrimp deveined with tail
- 1 lb. fresh mussels
- 1 lb. fresh little neck clams
- 1 jar of plum tomatoes or 1 can (32 oz.) of plum tomatoes
- 1/2 jar of puree tomatoes or 1/2 can (16 oz.) of puree tomatoes, add 2 tbl. of paste
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of homemade wine
- 4 cloves of garlic (halved)
- 1 dry red pepper or red pepper flakes
- fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1 lb. dry pasta ziti regati
- 1/2 tsp salt
Tips: For variation, use your favorite pasta. For an alternate in fish, try fresh calamari.
Soaking the Clams
Rinse the clams and mussels under cold water and leave them submerged under the cold water for 1/2 hour to remove all sand and grit. Rinse once again and set aside.
Preparing the Tomato FraDiavolo Sauce
In a large skillet, add 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, salt, red pepper flakes, 4 cloves of garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Add 1 jar (20 oz) of plum tomatoes (use a blender for 1 second to crush) and 1/2 jar of puree tomato sauce.
(If you do not have puree sauce —add 2 tbl. of paste for thickness and richness). Add finely chopped basil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes on medium to low flame to condense sauce.
Now begin to add the deveined shrimp, mussels, and clams, add the homemade wine or white wine and cover with lid and cook for additional 8 — 10 minutes until clams have opened and shrimps are tender to the touch.
Drain the ziti regati and pour the tomato fradiavolo sauce over and toss — Serve hot and enjoy with a hearty crusty wedge of Italian bread.